How to report Fraud or Misuse:
By phone: Call the fraud unit at (401) 415-8300. This line is staffed Mon-Fri from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. If you call after hours or on weekends, you may leave a message, and we will process your call promptly.
By mail: You may send a report to:
Collections, Claims, and Recovery Fraud Unit
206 Elmwood Avenue
Providence, RI 02907
Online: Report suspected fraud or misuse
What is Fraud?
Fraud occurs when a person makes false statements, and/or misrepresents facts or circumstances to the Department of Human Services in order to illegally receive cash assistance (RI Works), food assistance (SNAP), child care assistance (CCAP), general public assistance (GPA), long term care (LTC), child support services, rehabilitative services, veterans benefits, and Medicaid.
What is Misuse and Provider Fraud?
Misuse occurs when providers operate in ways inconsistent with sound fiscal, business, or medical practices. Misuse can result in great financial harm to both human services programs and Medicaid. Provider fraud can involve illegal practices from child care providers, doctors, dentists, nursing homes, home healthcare, medical equipment providers, pharmacies, mental health facilities, laboratories, transportation services, and more.
Examples of Fraud and Misuse:
- Failure to report income, insurance, or money received
- Failure to report the return of an absent parent to the home
- Failure to report a child out of the home
- Failure to report property or assets
- Claiming Rhode Island residence while living out of state
- Actively seeking drugs
- Committing crimes resulting in incarceration
- Providers receiving bills for services never provided
- Providers misrepresenting credentials
- Billing irregularities from providers