HEAP Eligibility and How To Apply
Heating Assistance Program Eligibility
To receive help from the Heating Assistance Program...
To receive help...
• You don't have to be on public assistance
• You don't need to have an unpaid heating bill
• You can either rent or own your home
Households must meet 60% of Rhode Island's Median Income Levels which are set each program year. See the current guidelines here.
Heating Assistance Application Process
Rhode Island Department of Human Services administers the program, but applications are taken at local Community Action Program (CAP) agencies. Your local CAP agency will walk you through the application process but below are some important points to keep in mind:
• In most cases, applications are taken from September through May each year.
• New applicants should apply in person.
• CAP agencies provide convenient and safe intake locations and will arrange for elderly or disabled individuals to apply at an intake site.
• Applicants who received heating assistance benefits the prior year will usually be mailed the application renewal forms by the CAP agency. Please be sure to update your address with your CAP agency if necessary.
Learn more and how to apply by contacting your local Community Action Program agency.