SNAP - What happens next?
Once you have submitted an application for SNAP benefits:
The Department of Human Services (DHS) has 30 days to determine your eligibility. If you have less than $100 in cash, and less than $150 in monthly earnings, or if your housing expenses exceed your monthly income, you may be eligible for expedited SNAP benefits. DHS is required to review your application for expedited benefits and make a decision within 7 days.
What happens next?
1. You must have an interview with DHS.
2. You will receive a notice in the mail informing you of the date and time of the interview.
- If you requested a telephone interview, your worker will call you at the phone number you provided on the application.
- If you requested an office interview, go to the appropriate office at the time of your interview.
- If you cannot make the interview (phone or in-office) at the scheduled date and time, call the office immediately to reschedule.
3. You will need to gather documents verifying your situation. You may provide photocopies.
- If you have a telephone interview, mail or fax your documents before the interview.
- If you have an in-office interview, bring your documents with you to the office.
- If you are asked to provide further documentation, you have 10 days to get it to DHS.
4. You will be given or mailed an EBT card and asked to select your personal identification number.
5. You have a right to appeal the decision. You can use this form to file an appeal.
DHS Office Locations in Your Vicinity:
110 Enterprise Center, Middletown, RI 02842, if you live in: Jamestown, Little Compton, Middletown, Newport, Portsmouth, and Tiverton
24 Commerce Street, Pawtucket, RI 02860, if you live in: Barrington, Bristol, Central Falls, East Providence, Pawtucket, Warren
206 Elmwood Avenue, Providence, RI 02907, if you live in: Cranston, Johnston, Providence, Scituate
4808 Tower Hill Road, Wakefield, RI 02879, if you live in: Charlestown, Coventry, East Greenwich, Exeter, Hopkinton, Narragansett, New Shoreham, North Kingstown, Richmond, South Kingstown, West Greenwich, Westerly
195 Buttonwoods Avenue, Warwick, RI 02886, if you live in: Charlestown, Coventry, East Greenwich, Exeter, Hopkinton, Narragansett, New Shoreham, North Kingstown, Richmond, South Kingstown, Warwick, Westerly, West Greenwich, West Warwick
450 Clinton Street, Woonsocket, RI 02895, if you live in: Burrillville, Cumberland, Foster, Glocester, Lincoln, North Providence, North Smithfield, Smithfield, Woonsocket